Libertarian Party of West Michigan

Click here to edit subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Not much acticity here.

Alek

Hello everyone.  I recently joined this site to try and get involved on the local level with the Libertarian party.  I'm a bit dissapointed on the lack of postings on the forums.  Please tell me most of things happen offline and that this group is active in promoting liberty.

A little about me, I'm a husband and father of two.  Having children really put things into perspective for me.  I've considered myself a libertarian for about four years now.  The only really heavy reading I've done is Murray Rothbard's "Libertarian Manifesto" and I have to say, I'm not that extreme. 

This country was founded with a federal goverment, but radically different from that we know today.  I don't advocate anarchy, I think there needs to be some government in place to keep people's liberty intact.  Unfortunately, the federal government has decided their place in our lives is to rule, not to protect.  They forget they are "public servants" but instead seem to few themselves as something special and better than us.

Real change in this country will happen if the states get together to attempt to amend the Constitution.  Of course, as history tells us, the feds will quickly pass the amendment and take all the credit.  That's fine as long as it gets done.  Term limits, no retirement, healthcare like the rest of us, compensation approved by voters (how I wish I could give myself a pay raise).   Legislators need to go there knowing they are getting kicked to the curb and be like the rest of us. 

As long as they've got a lifetime ticket of benifits, there is no incentive for them to look out for us.  I've been active on a Libertarian email group that is nationwide.  I'd like to organize cooperation between geographically distant local groups for a common purpose. 

We need something changed before it's too late and our ability is lost.

September 12, 2012 at 2:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Nicholas Sundquist

Sorry I missed you! Come to one of our meetings they are not great but you can help make them better.

--

December 7, 2012 at 11:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Arnie Davidsons
Administrator

I agree that the lack of activity on this site is disappointing. I've only been with the LPWM for a few months, and just joined the site tonight. (my bad). Our group has had a reorganization of sorts, with new officers recently elected. Some of us hope to turn things around, but we NEED people that are willing to get involved and HELP!!! If you want to see things happening, PLEASE get involved! Show up for some meetings now, or at least contact one of the Officers, including myself! I'm willing to hear new ideas, and have a few myself. But we need more people that are willing to get actively involved! Why not jump in, and help us!??

--
April 24, 2013 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tom Hren
Administrator

Well-spoken, Arnie!  We are so glad you are on our team. I am looking forward to working with you in the coming year. Many hands make light work. We can all do something to further the cause of liberty. Talk to your family, friends and neighbors...and don't be shy about expressing your opinions.

--

"That government is best which governs least."

April 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Arnie Davidsons
Administrator

Thanks for your kind comments, Tom. I hope that I don't disappoint. I'm also looking forward to the coming year. I hope I'm ready for it! I've been reading/studying a LOT since I've retired. And I HAVE been talking to friends, family, etc. I've convinced a few, and I'm driving my wife NUTS!!! Shy? Not anymore! I gave that up several years ago!

I'm new to this politics game, and still learning. But I have met many interesting and good people since I got involved. I never dreamed that one day I'd get to spend some time chatting with a Governor! (Johnson)!!

Note to everyone on the sidelines... GET INVOLVED!!!!! You never know how things will turn out until you TRY!!!! (and you can't b**ch if you don't vote!)

April 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MJClark

I have a standing appointment on Tuesday's so I cannot attending the meetings. is there another time that people on here get togeather. I personally beleive that things need to change to save our country, but they are not going to change if we don't take action. For the past 100 years, the Federal Goverbment has been removinging our freedoms one by one and it is about tiime that we do something to change the government and get them back. 

July 31, 2013 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.